Return to Home Page       Real Estate
Things to See History Getting Here
Civil War Sites in Georgia

Northwest Mountains
Atlanta Metro
Presidential Pathways
Historic Heartland
Classic South
Plantation Trace
Magnolia Midlands
Colonial Coast

Civil War Sites in Georgia

Historic Heartland


More than any other section of Georgia, here the storied Plantation South survives. Antebellum homes abound in each town listed here. Almost every site listed here is an architectural and cultural treasure. Residents of the area have been in the forefront of historic preservation, and are eager to have visitors that share that heritage.

Clarke County

Double Barrelled Cannon (NRHP)

Home of the University of Georgia, Athens had a home guard that successfully resisted Union cavalry at the Battle of Barber’s Creek. Confederate earthworks from the August 2, 1864 battle can be clearly seen. Of special interest is the double-barreled cannon, the only one of its kind, used in the battle. Still standing is the Cook and Brother Confederate Armory, which manufactured rifles and bayonets. The university, then known as Franklin College, turned over its buildings to the Confederacy, which used the campus both for a hospital and, briefly, a short-term prison for Union cavalrymen. Beautiful ante-bellum homes include that of General Howell Cobb. Oconee Cemetery is the resting place of Confederate soldiers and four CSA generals.

Clinton / Giswoldville
Jones County

  • Clinton (NRHP)
    GA 129
    Clinton, GA

    Clinton became a battleground during the Civil War when over 2,000 Union troops rode into town en route from Atlanta to Macon and Andersonville. They stole or destroyed over $500,000 worth of property in Jones County, finally occupying the town by November 19, 1864. The Old Clinton Historical Society presents Clinton’s War Days every May, a reenactment of the battles which were fought in and around Clinton. During War Days, the Historical Society displays Civil War memorabilia at the McCarthy-Pope House, the oldest remaining structure in town. Several historical markers are located along GA Highway 22; most note the Town of and Batt of Girswoldville.

    Exit 185 I-75, GA 18 to left on GA 22

  • Griswoldville (HM)

    The Griswoldville battlefield is approximately 10 miles east of Macon. It was the only significant land battle fought along the route of Sherman’s March to the Sea. On November 22, 1864, inexperienced troops of the Georgia Militia made a courageous but tragic attack on Sherman’s right wing, suffering heavy losses before retiring to Macon. The wartime industrial center at Griswoldville manufactured soap, brick, furniture and Colt-type pistols for the Confederacy. Destroyed by Union cavalry in 1864, the town was never rebuilt. It is now a state historic site.

    Exit 2 off I-16 (MLK Blvd.), north 0.7 miles, right on highway 80. After 2.3 miles, veer left on highway 47, proceed 4.4 miles and turn left on Henderson Road. Proceed 1.4 miles, right on Griswoldville Road. Proceed 1.4 miles, left on Baker Road. Parking area is 0.4 miles on left.

  • Battle of Culloden
    Monroe County

    On April 19, 1865, Federal troops, part of Wilson’s Raiders advancing on macon, encountered the “Worrill Grays” near here. Greatly outnumbered, the “Grays” yielded after a two-hour battle. Call Culloden’s City Hall at 478-885-2249 for information on the Confederate Museum.

Monroe County

Not many places experienced the suffering and pain of the war as was suffered within a space of about one square mile of Forsyth. When Gen. Sherman began his march to Atlanta, between 18,000 and 20,000 sick and wounded Confederate soldiers were moved to Forsyth for safety. Hotels, the Courthouse, stores, swelling houses and schools were filled with these soldiers. A study of the hospitals would not be complete without an examination of the Forsyth Soldier’s Cemetery. Here are buried 250 persons who gave some type of service in the war.

Bibb County

  • Old Cannon Ball House (NRHP)
    856 Mulberry Street
    Macon, GA 31201

    Administered by the Sidney Lanier Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy, this restored 1853 Greek Revival house was hit by a Union cannon ball in July 1864. Two furnished parlors in the house honor the founding of the first two sororities in the United States at nearby Wesleyan College. The Macon Confederate museum is in an adjacent building.

  • Rose Hill Cemetery (NRHP)
    1071 Riverside Drive
    Macon, GA 31201

    Rose Hill remains as one of the oldest surviving public cemetery / parks in the United States and is the burial ground of soldiers of the Civil War.

    Open daily until sundown. Self guided tour maps available in office.

  • Madison-Morgan County Cultural Center (NRHP)
    Morgan County
    434 S. Main St.
    Madison, GA 30650

    The left wing of Sherman’s Army moved through Madison on November 17, 1864, and burned the railroad depot and a slave pen. Many antebellum homes are still standing in town. At the Cultural Center, a corner section from an early 19th century, hand-hewn log cabin constructed of heart pine houses a display of Civil War materials. Among these is a handmade coverlet which depicts a battle in Virginia as sketched by a Confederate soldier from Oglethorpe County. After being wounded and returning home to heal, he drew the battle on the hand-woven coverlet from memory, which his wife then embroidered.

Baldwin County
  • First Presbyterian Church (NRHP)
    210 S. Wayne Street
    Milledgeville, GA 31061

    Located on the Old Capitol Square, First Presbyterian Church was one of three churches built about the same time as the Old State Capitol. It was occupied by Union forces during the war.

  • Memory Hill Cemetery (NRHP)

    This large city cemetery holds several Confederate soldiers including Gen. Doles of the Doles-Cook Brigade. The cemetery has a plot containing the remains of over 20 unknown Confederate soldiers and has, at a separate location, three Union soldiers.

  • The Old Governor’s Mansion (NRHP)
    120 S. Clark Street
    Milledgeville, GA 31061

    This restored Greek Revival mansion served as Georgia’s executive residence form 1839-1868. When Gen. Sherman and his army occupied Milledgeville in November, 1864, the Governor’s mansion served as his headquarters. Governor Joseph E. Brown was captured at this site.

    I-75 to Milledgeville exit, next to Georgia College & State University Campus, across from the Student Center.

  • The Old State Capitol Building (NRHP)
    201 E. Greene Street
    Milledgeville, GA 31061
    Located on the campus of Georgia Military College

    The Old State Capitol Building has been reconstructed on its original site. The Secession Convention took place in the Capitol Building in January, 1861. The building today houses the administration for Georgia Military College.

  • St. Stephens Episcopal Church (NRHP)
    220 S. Wayne Street
    Milledgeville, GA 31061
    Located on the Old Capitol Square, one of three churches built about the same time as the Old State Capitol. The floor still shows hoof prints from when this church housed Sherman’s calvary.

  • State House Square / Provost Guard Camp Site (HM) (NRHP)
    201 E. Greene Street
    Milledgeville, GA 31061

    The Old State Capitol Square at the time of the war included the buildings listed above, another church and an arsenal that was destroyed by Sherman’s troops. The square, when occupied by Sherman’s troops, saw the repeal of the secession ordinance and the subsequent destruction of the interior of the Capitol.

Oconee County

Eagle Tavern (NRHP)
Main Street, US 441
Watkinsville, GA 30677

A Confederate soldier remained concealed for weeks in a hiding place in the loft behind the enormous chimney, with food and buckets of hot coals handed up to him by slaves.